We live in a fast-paced world where new and exciting advancements are constantly emerging. The rate at which change occurs is truly amazing, and it’s creating a fantastic world where luxurious experiences are becoming more affordable and accessible to a wider audience. The sophisticated developments that are taking place are making it easier than ever before to turn our dreams into reality.
One area where this transformation is particularly noticeable is in the real estate sector. Thanks to innovative technology and cutting-edge design, we’re seeing a surge in high-quality, affordable housing changing how people live. With sleek new materials, energy-efficient appliances, and state-of-the-art security systems, today’s homes are more comfortable, convenient, and safe than ever.
It’s amazing how modern technology has made sophisticated home and building designs a reality. Some designs are so impressive that you might think they’re from another planet, but believe it or not, they’re all from this world.
Despite the many improvements in home design, it’s disappointing that complaints still abound. Don’t worry, though, because after reading this article, you’ll learn how to avoid the common pitfalls of home ownership.
One exciting thing to note is that many dream homes share a common thread: they offer unparalleled comfort for their inhabitants.
And did you know that the way your humble abode is designed can greatly impact your experience and overall feel within its walls? Yep, it’s true! From the very beginning, the design plays a crucial role in shaping the final product that you call home sweet home.
Think about it: what makes a dream home, well, dreamy? It’s because the design hits all the right notes and checks off all the boxes that you, as the homeowner, want. On the other hand, if the design misses the mark and doesn’t align with your desires, your home might end up feeling like a flop. And nobody wants that, right?
What is the Design Trend for Most Dream Homes?
Upon reviewing some of the most outstanding designs in the industry, we couldn’t help but notice a common trend among them. And no, we’re not talking about those homes that attract complaints. The trend we’re referring to is none other than the coveted open floor plan.
It turns out that most dream homes feature an open floor plan that makes the space feel more expansive and allows for easy flow between rooms. This design feature not only looks stunning, but it also serves a practical purpose by promoting socialization and improving the functionality of the home.
Open floor plans are simple floor plan designs that allow for sophistication. They are simple yet sophisticated and involve joining three or more common living spaces to give a unique appeal. Depending on the interior design, a thin wall, furniture, and appliances can separate the living spaces.
Today, open floor plans have become the new home design trend loved by many (if not all) homeowners, but why is this so?
This article will discuss some of the reasons why homeowners love open floor plans.
Why Do We Love Open Floor Plan Designs?
Most custom designed homes described as dream homes feature an open floor plan. The question now is; what benefits does it offer?
Some of the reasons are listed below.
- Entertaining guests become enjoyable: A vital feature of open floor plans is interconnected spaces separated by a thin wall (which, in most cases, is not the traditional wall you are used to). The three living spaces primarily interconnected in this design are the living room, dining room, and kitchen. So, when entertaining guests, you don’t have to worry about the barriers of traditional walls, as you can be in three spaces at once. Your guests are always in your company, even if you are in the kitchen preparing a meal for them or setting up the dining area.
- Improved real estate value for your home: If you have ever heard of the functional square footage, you would understand this benefit. This appeal is significantly valued in the real estate market. Homes with this appeal experience increased value as it offers other benefits that home buyers like.
- Shared lighting: The reduced separating barriers in walls between the shared spaces means more windows open up to the space. These windows allow for more light in the open space, adding some sense of warmth there. Warmth is an essential quality for a home to be considered comfortable. Asides from the shared window lights, the electrical lighting is reduced, as lights can be fitted and shared between spaces. Hence, there is reduced electrical lighting with optimal illumination in the space. And the reduced lights are barely noticed.
- Better flow: Living in an open space with no doors or walls to restrict the motion flow between spaces is a plus, especially considering daily living can become tedious and demanding. These days, the better flow between spaces allows you to navigate these spaces effortlessly with no restrictions.
- Modern feel: Modern homes are characterized by sufficient space in core living areas. The kitchen, dining, and living room are not a home’s only core living areas. Instead, core living areas include spaces with much traffic in a home. Indeed, the three spaces mentioned earlier receive the most traffic indoors, but there are outdoor living spaces too.
Open floor plans allow these spaces to be connected and have a free-flowing indoor-to-outdoor living space. Homeowners can multitask between spaces giving their home that modern feel characterized by effortlessly carrying out different activities.
- Safer for the kids: Supervising kids is one of the scenarios where that multitasking comes into play. As a parent, you can be in the kitchen cooking and still watch your children while they play in the garden or living room. You don’t have to worry about your children’s safety when busy in a different space with open floor plans.
- Much bigger space: Open floor plans feature connected spaces, and these spaces are mainly areas that receive high traffic. When these spaces have walls, considering the traffic they receive, there is this feeling of being boxed up, not being content, and dissatisfaction. This is because the space appears smaller than it is, and the walls are the reason for this. But these spaces appear bigger without walls, and you will be delighted when using these spaces.
Modern and Functional Open Floor Plans That are Well Loved
Some of these designs include the following:
- Open floor plans with a garage or workshop
- Open floor plans with large-scale windows in place of walls between two spaces.
If you are among those with complaints about their home, take a closer look, and you might discover that your home doesn’t feature an open floor plan.
If you have doubts about open floor plan design, this article has discussed why this home plan is the design to love. You should definitely try it out.